Product Development at Breville is all about delivering product excellence.
Truthfully, every team in the business is driven by the desire to create the best product they can. When we’re at our best we keep the customer at the centre of our vision, working together to deeply understand the moments that matter to them in the kitchen and essentially deliver appliances that represent ‘mastery in a box’. We know we’ve delivered mastery when we can hand on heart say that the food results are better, simpler to achieve, involve less time and hassle and are more engaging to create. Creating products with this difference means taking the time to really understand food & the user, having the courage to try new and difficult things, having the tenaciousness to see them through with an openness to learn and evolve along the way.
This is summed up by our tagline ‘master every moment’, something that is deeply embedded in the way we work.
Based in Alexandria, our corporate campus is nestled in a bustling former industrial precinct that is growing some serious foodie credentials.
The Role: Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Breville is looking for an autonomous engineer who has experience taking electro-mechanical products to our global markets, with a focus on innovation.
You will exercise your creativity and determination every day as you develop prototypes, place your ideas through rigorous testing and release them for manufacturing when they meet or exceed our specifications for performance, quality and safety.
The role will involve concept generation whilst refining through simulation, analysis and assessments through experimental testing and documentation using Test Plans, FMEA etc;
Detailed design including DFM/DFA with a thorough knowledge of engineering components for the appropriate process and specification, as well as all aspects of implementation into production including setting up control plans and meeting global safety/regulatory requirements.
- Part and assembly design, from concept to detail design to manufacturing implementation.
- Create control and test plans for component, sub assembly and product level assessments.
- Thermal and mechanical simulation modelling using ANSYS followed by experimental testing of prototypes to verify.
- Detailed mechanical design, using SolidWorks, for a wide range of production/fabrication processes in order to optimise performance and cost.
- Ensure the design of the product and its performance meets applicable compliance and regulatory standards.
- Passionate about enabling people, food and process whilst able to lead through engaging influencing peers and stakeholders
- Collaborate with our contract manufacturers as well as component suppliers to transition concepts to production.
- Coordinate with Industrial Design, Category Managers and the Quality team to ensure all requirements are met.
- Create, coordinate and release technical documents.
- A food thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit and commercial acumen
- A ‘can-do’ approach as a proactive problem-solver with a mix of analytical skills and creativity
- An appetite to learn and the willingness to be an active listener which ideally makes you open to feedback, new ideas and points of view
- Strong critical thinking, logic and top down thinking capability
- Good communication skills, both listening and engaging
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Manufacturing or related field
- Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering within a product design and manufacturing environment.
- min. 10 years mechanical engineering experience.
- Proficiency in CAD modelling, Solidworks experience highly valued but not required
- Strong analysis skills, including structural and thermal, Ansys experience highly valued but not required
- Experience bringing a product or assembly through its entire lifecycle from initial concept through to product manufacturing.
- Ability to design for a wide range of fabrication and manufacturing processes.
- Experience with product and process validation.