Product Development at Breville is all about delivering product excellence. Truthfully, every team in the business is driven by the desire to create the best product they can. When we’re at our best we keep the customer at the centre of our vision, working together to deeply understand the moments that matter to them in the kitchen and essentially deliver appliances that represent ‘mastery in a box’. We know we’ve delivered mastery when we can hand on heart say that the food results are better, simpler to achieve, involve less time and hassle and are more engaging to create. Creating products with this difference means taking the time to really understand food & the user, having the courage to try new and difficult things, having the tenaciousness to see them through with good humour and an openness to learn and evolve along the way. This is summed up by our tagline ‘master every moment’, something that is deeply embedded in the way we work.
All that… and we’re based in sunny Sydney Australia! Our office is located within a ½ an hour of our world-famous beaches and 15minute train ride from the iconic Sydney Opera House and vibrant CBD. Based in Alexandria, our corporate campus is nestled in a bustling former industrial precinct that is growing some serious foodie credentials. Interested? Read on.
About Global Product
Breville’s philosophical position on product development is that it is very much an evolving dialogue between what is desirable for the customer, technically possible to achieve, and commercially viable to deliver. Therefore no one discipline can impose its will on the other. Innovation at Breville is every inch a team sport! You’ll get to work with an amazing array of passionate development specialists, from designers and engineers to food specialists, UX teams and digital architects in a fun and collaborative environment. We have always had a collaborative, iterative and people focused method for developing products and have recently documented Phase 1 of a bolstered development process to help us scale as we grow (the team has doubled in size in the last five years). We want to move from disciplined, lean experimentation to develop and vet ideas; to iterative, agile development to establish product feasibility and work up detailed designs; to a more waterfall based execution to industrialise products for manufacture.
A UX Designer at Breville wears many hats. We are a diverse team with varied vertical skill within the UX discipline, and we’d like to add you to the mix – a UX Designer with dual ability to design and code. We have no end of fascinating challenges at Breville that can only be solved by someone with innate UX sense, technical aptitude, and great taste.
Although not a deal-breaker, an ideal profile for a UX Designer at Breville is someone with an industrial design background, with experience in designing digital product/service design. You’d join us at a perfect time to help shape what we build and how we grow.
As a UX Designer who can code, we are hoping you’re someone with creative skills and proficient in front-end development. Anything that involves User Interface (UI) prototyping and development are going to be an integral part of what you’d be doing at Breville UX team.
This role is a 6 month contract position.
Tackle great challenge while making an impact
For the scale of work we are doing, our UX team is small, so people wear many hats. You’d be jumping between products and contributing to building our design systems. Depending on the product timeline, you’ll be participating in every phase of the product development stage, from inception, research, design, development to implementation. Being bored will not be a thing.
Accelerate your learning as a maker
You’ll get to flex a versatile set of your UX thinking muscles; balancing vision, craft and business potential at the intersection of hardware and digital product design. All with a single goal in mind, to solve real problems for our users and help facilitate their success in the kitchen.
The big picture of the role
You are expected to:
- Help guide our overall strategy through design, prototyping, and market research.
- Expand the product vision to create a meaningful experience for our users.
- Craft every detail of the product features, from high-level idea to UX to pixel-perfect execution.
- Partner with our Industrial Designers, Engineers and Product Managers to understand the users need, want and love about Breville products – Use this insight to plan and scope the UX-specific workload and roadmap.
- Utilise existing components from our design systems and expand it as you design new components. Be pragmatic about your approach when designing the UX for our products – help us to move faster as we scale.
We value someone who can:
- Translate complex user needs, technical constraints, and business goals into thoughtful, delightful user experiences.
- Create pixel-perfect UI design. Build delightful UIs across Breville products; both embedded on appliances, on mobile and voice platform.
- Prototype ideas using cutting edge tech to demonstrate the value proposition for a new digital initiative. Prototyping at Breville goes beyond screen, so experience with either Arduino or Raspberry-Pi is a huge bonus!
- Plan, organise and facilitate UX research, usability test and Beta test.
- Understand the business lingo and can untangle hard conceptual problems into digestible chunks to create the best possible UX and interaction design.
- Tell stories using visuals with contextual words and strategise the best way to get your point across.
- Care about the business needs, implications, and possibilities of your designs; e.g. able to balance complexity in developing your design when pit against time, effort and budget. You don't get stuck on pretty UI and capable to balance between craft, speer and the bottom line.
Who we're looking for:
- Someone who are passionate about food thinking. Breville is about enabling our users to master every cooking moments and deliver perfect results in the kitchen.
- 4+ years of UX design experience, and have shipped products.
- Have a strong understanding of UX design methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills and have contributed as a strong collaborator within a team of product managers, designers and engineers.
- Independent thinker with a collaborative approach to design; can design for constraint, plan for iterative or phased deliver and scalable solutions.
- Have sharp intuition for how people use (or wish they could use) our products.
- Someone who can disagree and commit. The UX team vision is to facilitate the product team to succeed, so the ability to set aside your egos, willingness to listen and collaborate is key.
The UX Designer at Breville lives in the intersection of designing for experience across hardware (how the product form affects UX), software (the UI) and the interaction.
Staying on top of the latest design tools is imperative. Understanding user research, user stories and wireframing is a must. This is a multi-disciplinary field, incorporating Design Research, UI and Interaction Design... and social behaviour.
- Online portfolio showcasing your UX work.
- Cross-platform design experiences (embedded UI, Web, Mobile, or voice)
- Passion about coffee, cooking and the science of food.
Tactical skills requirements:
- Lo-fi and Hi-fi prototyping skills.
- Proficient in the tools we use: Sketch, Framer X, Axure, Overflow, Dovetail, Zeplin, Optimal Workshop, Notion, Jira, Bitbucket, and Confluence.
Nice to have:
- Formal education background in Industrial Design.
- Familiar with Arduino or Raspberry Pit prototyping (hardware related).
- Experience in coding with React or React Native.
- Be part of a diverse and passionate Food Thinkers team
- Industry standard 9.5% Superannuation
- Generous Australian-style annual leave and holidays
- Bring your dog to work