Breville is an ASX200 listed consumer products company that designs and distributes premium small appliances for kitchens across the world. We have an award-winning product development team of designers, engineers, food specialists and product people working out of our global headquarters in Sydney Australia.
We help people shine in their kitchen. It’s the intersection of science, culture, engineering and psychology that makes what we do endlessly fascinating. We call this food thinking. We are a company of food thinkers who immerse ourselves in the products we make. Naturally we’d like to think we’re all thoughtful, creative & intelligent, but the important thing is that it’s not about us. It’s about creating the best products, that home cooks across the world will fall in love with (or at least deeply in like).
Breville is looking a Design Researcher to join our New Product Development (NPD) team in Sydney. Our research is pragmatic and applied; with the goal of enabling Breville to design and build products that help users achieve masterful food results. The research we carry out includes a mix of qualitative and quantitative design research methods and practices.
This position would suit someone with experience with design, UX, or market research methods and practices, preferably with a background in mixed-methods research. Reporting directly to the Head of Research, you’ll be working with our cross functional category teams within the organisation.
Successful candidates will be comfortable leading research projects, including developing research plans, facilitating groups, interviews, and useability studies, analysing finding and presenting results. You’ll work across several challenges, from exploratory investigations of user needs and attitudes, to practical assessment of a product’s usability.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Designing, planning, and executing user research alongside product development teams – including working with external research providers where required
- Collaborating with UX designers, industrial designers, food experts, engineers, researchers, and marketers on projects to explore user needs and validate design outcomes
- Helping teams integrate insights from research into their product development projects
- Contributing to Breville’s research methods and tradecraft
Qualifications and experience
- 4+ years’ experience as a researcher
- Tertiary degree in a relevant field
- Experience leading research projects, including developing research plans, facilitating research activities, analysing finding, and presenting results
- Experience with qualitative research methods, facilitation, and analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, work unsupervised, and help drive cultural change
- Compelling written and spoken communication
- Strong planning, organisation, and documentation skills
- Willingness to jump in the deep end and picking up the tools to get the job done.
- Comfort with ambiguity and experimentation
- An interest in multiple disciplines and approaches, and the ability to quickly dive into a new domain or process
We feel that this role would suit a candidate with:
- A passion for learning about the world, human behaviour, and the motivations that lie beneath the surface – especially in the realm of food culture and cooking
- A background in mixed methods research, experience with survey design and quantitative analysis desirable
- Experience working in new product design / development and the realities of working with product development organisations
- Ability to speak another language is an asset
Breville is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We encourage our employees to be themselves, respect the need for work-life balance, and career progression.