Product Development at Breville is all about delivering product excellence.
Truthfully, every team in the business is driven by the desire to create the best product they can. When we’re at our best we keep the customer at the centre of our vision, working together to deeply understand the moments that matter to them in the kitchen and essentially deliver appliances that represent ‘mastery in a box’. We know we’ve delivered mastery when we can hand on heart say that the food results are better, simpler to achieve, involve less time and hassle and are more engaging to create. Creating products with this difference means taking the time to really understand food & the user, having the courage to try new and difficult things, having the tenaciousness to see them through with an openness to learn and evolve along the way.
This is summed up by our tagline ‘master every moment’ which is deeply embedded in the way we work.
We are seeking an autonomous Mechanical Design Engineer to join our growing business. Reporting to the Head of Mechanical Engineering, this role will focus on new engineering innovations - playing a critical role in taking our electro-mechanical products to global markets.
You will exercise your creativity and determination every day as you develop prototypes, place your ideas through rigorous testing and release them for manufacturing when they meet or exceed our specifications for performance, quality, and safety.
The role will involve concept generation whilst refining through simulation, analysis and assessments through experimental testing and documentation using Test Plans, FMEA etc. It will also involve detailed design including DFM/DFA with a thorough knowledge of engineering components for the appropriate process and specification, as well as all aspects of implementation into production including setting up control plans and meeting global safety/regulatory requirements.
Key responsibilities include:
- Part and assembly design, from concept to detail design to manufacturing implementation
- Create control and test plans for component, sub assembly and product level assessments
- Thermal and mechanical simulation modelling using ANSYS followed by experimental testing of prototypes to verify
- Detailed mechanical design, using 3D CAD, for a wide range of materials, production/fabrication processes to optimise performance and cost
- Ensure the design of the product and its performance meets applicable compliance and regulatory standards
- Passionate about enabling people, food, and process whilst able to lead through engaging influencing peers and stakeholders
- Collaborate with our contract manufacturers as well as component suppliers to transition concepts to production
- Coordinate with Industrial Design, Category Managers, and the Quality team to ensure all requirements are met
- Create, coordinate, and release technical documents
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Manufacturing or related field
- Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering within a product design and manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 5 years of mechanical engineering experience
- Proficiency in CAD modelling required. Solidworks experience desirable
- Strong analysis skills, including structural and thermal, Ansys experience highly valued but not required
- Experience bringing a product or assembly through its entire lifecycle from initial concept through to product manufacturing
- Ability to design for a wide range of fabrication and manufacturing processes
- Experience with product and process validation
- A food thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit and commercial acumen
- A ‘can-do’ approach as a proactive problem-solver with a mix of analytical skills and creativity
- An appetite to learn and the willingness to be an active listener which ideally makes you open to feedback, new ideas and points of view
- Strong critical thinking, logic, and top down thinking capability
- Good communication skills, both listening and engaging
We offer a positive and rewarding team environment and a competitive remuneration package, as well as great employee benefits including flexible work arrangements and helpful discounts on all our products.