Founded in Australia in 1932, Breville has grown to become a world leader in Kitchen Appliances. We are driven by consumer centred innovation, food science, and we love what we do. Our employment philosophy is to recruit people who share our passion and commitment in making Breville a world leader in product design and innovation.
Located at Breville’s new global head office in Alexandria, Sydney, you will work on an array of IP activities relating to home appliances. You will work with an agile and responsive Research & Development team to harness and advise on the endless possibilities for new technologies and systems in what has become a highly competitive marketplace.
You will be responsible for identifying patented threats and filing opportunities which are consumer-facing and alignment with rapidly changing Research & Development targets of interest. Key areas of responsibility include:
• Actively and rapidly coordinating the IP tasks relating to Research & Development roadmaps with the Global Product development team
• Proactively identifying and interpreting technology landscapes and competitor portfolios for the Research & Development team, predominantly in appliance related technology fields with potential elements of user experience, mechanical, electrical, computer sciences and software technology domains
• Perform various other types of patent analyses, such as, claims mapping, portfolio analysis, patent
categorisation and IP valuation
Qualifications and Experience
- Technical qualifications equivalent to Industrial Design/Engineering
- High competence in Design Thinking and mechanical technology domains, and to a lesser extent an understanding of electrical (i.e. ability to read circuit diagrams), computing and communications fundamentals
- Ability to interpret and produce operation schematics and technical drawings
- Technical qualifications or equivalent experience in product innovation related IP laws & practice (progressing studies in this area is also acceptable)
- 2-4 years’ experience within the field of Industrial Design & IP in the capacity of an Industrial Designer/Engineer, Patent Engineer or Patent Analyst
- Knowledge of in-house Research & Development and IP operations
- A flexible approach to work & be capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable working collaboratively and openly in a team environment
- An interest in food and food culture as embraced by Breville’s "Food Thinking" philosophy
- An inquisitive nature with an analytical mind and a willingness to be challenged
What you'll get in return
The opportunity to work with global industry leaders in a diverse and dynamic environment. You will have a highly visible role to play in supporting the growth of Breville in an exciting and highly competitive market place.